An auto accident, even just a minor one, can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. A fender bender, typically referred to as a minor collision with little or no injuries, still requires filing an auto insurance claim in the US. Here’s what you can expect when filing a claim after a fender bender.
1. Exchange Information: After a fender bender, the first thing you should do is exchange information with the other driver. This includes their name, license plate number, and insurance information.
2. Call the Police: Depending on the severity of the accident, you might need to call the police. They will file an accident report that you will need when filing your insurance claim.
3. Document the Scene: Take pictures of the damage to both vehicles and any other property that was damaged, such as street signs or a fence. This information will help your insurance adjuster determine the extent of the damage.
4. Call Your Insurance Company: Once you have exchanged information and documented the scene, call your insurance company to report the accident. They will guide you through the process of filing a claim.
5. Choose a Repair Shop: Your insurance company may have a list of preferred repair shops that they work with. You can choose one of these shops or choose your own, but make sure that the repair shop is reputable and will provide quality work.
6. Get an Estimate: Your insurance company will send an adjuster to assess the damage to your vehicle. Based on the information they gather, they will provide an estimate of the cost to repair your vehicle.
7. Pay Your Deductible: If your insurance policy includes a deductible, you will need to pay that amount before your insurance company will cover the cost of repairs.
8. Get Your Vehicle Repaired: Once you have received an estimate and paid your deductible, you can have your vehicle repaired. Make sure that you keep all receipts and documentation related to the repair.
9. Follow Up with Your Insurance Company: Your insurance company will continue to work with you throughout the process of repairing your vehicle. Make sure that you keep them updated on any changes or updates.
Filing an auto insurance claim after a fender bender can be a confusing and stressful experience, but it’s important to report the accident to your insurance company. By following these steps, you can ensure that your claim is processed smoothly and that your vehicle is repaired quickly and correctly.