Protecting Your Dream Home: A Guide to Home Insurance in Greece

As a homeowner in Greece, it’s important to protect your dream home with the right insurance policy. Home insurance can help you have peace of mind knowing that most unexpected events and disasters are covered.

Essentially, a home insurance policy is a contract between you and the insurance company. You pay a premium to the insurance company, and in exchange, they agree to pay for certain damages and losses in your home according to the policy terms.

Here is a guide to help you understand home insurance in Greece:

Types of Home Insurance in Greece

There are two types of home insurance policies in Greece: building insurance and content insurance. The building insurance covers the physical structure of your home, while content insurance covers the belongings inside your home.

Building Insurance: This policy covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it gets damaged by natural disasters, such as storms, floods, earthquakes, fires, or other unforeseeable events. It also covers third-party risks, including injury or damage a visitor may suffer on your property.

Content Insurance: Content insurance covers the losses you may suffer if your personal belongings are lost, damaged, or stolen, including furniture, electronics, clothing, and other valuable items.

How Much Coverage Do You Need?

The amount of coverage you’ll need will depend on several factors, including the value of your home, the condition of your home, and the total value of your assets. Start by assessing the value of your home and the contents you want to cover before choosing a policy. Also, keep in mind that your policy should cover the entire cost of rebuilding your home, not just the current market value of your property.

What Does Home Insurance Cover?

Each insurance policy is unique, but generally, home insurance policies in Greece cover:

– Natural disasters: including earthquakes, landslides, floods, hurricanes, and storms.
– Fire or explosions: protection against structural damage and damages to personal property in the event of a fire or explosion.
– Theft and vandalism: covers the loss of personal property if stolen or damaged due to rioting or vandalism.
– Accidental damage: protects against damage to the physical property, including flooding caused by a burst pipe.
– Third-party liability: covers your legal responsibility if someone is injured on your property or if their property is damaged while on your property.


Home insurance is a crucial component of protecting your dream home. Before purchasing a policy, make sure to assess your needs and budget, compare policies, and double-check the conditions and limitations. With the right home insurance policy, you can have peace of mind that your dream home is protected.

Leave a Comment